Activities – Fisantekraal
This Ministry occurred as a serendipitous event when Dereck fetched firewood for winter in June 2014. He met some young learners coming from school and he and the kids struck up a conversation. The needs were seen and the needs were assessed. After much prayer and reflection the congregation started its work.
Currently the activities are:
- Friday afternoons from 13h00 to 14h30 we mentor Matric learners dealing with issues like leadership development, self development, study skills and assistance with applications for Matrics in preparation for tertiary education.
- Regular visits and assistance for chid-headed households. Currently there are four families that are cared for with food and clothing.
- We assist a young man, Shahied Visagie, at Stellenbosch University as he is the first student from Fisantekraal High School. He is studying youth development and spends his vacations with the youth group to develop and hone his skills.
- Reading programmes where the outreach has designed an accountability platform and is in the process of registering an NGO, IMANI, (Venda for “I arise”), which will manage all finances and in itself have a legal accountability structure to protect any funding and donations that may be garnered and used for the Fisantekraal and Khayalitsha project.
- We have been working on getting companies on board to assist learners in accounting and mathematics.
- We have partnered with students from various universities who assist with tutoring subjects they are strong in and so build bridges between the school and the universities.